Sartosa
A while back I wrote a post called Stop IE. It was inspired by a link I had stumbled across. I didn't refer much to the site other than posting the link. What I did was giving an introduction to Firefox and why I like it so much.
Recently someone commented on that post and left a link to a post in his own blog: "The crap that is StopIE". He does have some valid points. However, he is a Firefox user himself, so go figure. ;)
The page StopIE might not be based on the best set of arguments but who cares. IE still sucks! The existence of an open source and free browser like Firefox renders it useless.
IE users, I now challenge you to use your imagination! There is a bug in IE, first someone discovers it, then it goes public and then it will take MS programmers days if not weeks to fix it and provide you with an update. In the meantime hackers can take advantage of the bug. That's quite a common scenario with IE.
Now, of course the same thing could happen with Firefox if a bug goes public before there is a fix. However, since it is an open source program there usually is a bug fix available before anyone even realized there was a bug!!
I sure hope that people will give Firefox a try, eventually take the time to download all the addons that were built to implement the few missing IE functions they might have gotten used to [e.g. deskCut] and realize what a great improvement Firefox is!
Open source rules and no one needs IE anymore. Give me one good argument why we still need IE???
Here are some more pages fyi:
Firefox vs Internet Explorer aka Internet Extinction
Firefox vs. Internet Explorer
Firefox gains on IE in June
Browser Showdown - Firefox vs. Internet Explorer (humorous)
Finally I think that it doesn't hurt if all the nuts keep using IE. What harm does it do? It's actually like charity. Everyone who decides to switch to Firefox puts in some of their time to get familiar with a new browser. If they enjoy it they will possibly spend even more time to further improve it (open source rules!). This forces MS to improve their browser more and more. The technically uninterested will only profit from that and it's a good thing! They can hardly be bothered to search and install cool addons or extensions, so they need IE. I understand that. I also understand that this fraction of internet users potentially is a majority, sadly!
Recently someone commented on that post and left a link to a post in his own blog: "The crap that is StopIE". He does have some valid points. However, he is a Firefox user himself, so go figure. ;)
The page StopIE might not be based on the best set of arguments but who cares. IE still sucks! The existence of an open source and free browser like Firefox renders it useless.
IE users, I now challenge you to use your imagination! There is a bug in IE, first someone discovers it, then it goes public and then it will take MS programmers days if not weeks to fix it and provide you with an update. In the meantime hackers can take advantage of the bug. That's quite a common scenario with IE.
Now, of course the same thing could happen with Firefox if a bug goes public before there is a fix. However, since it is an open source program there usually is a bug fix available before anyone even realized there was a bug!!
I sure hope that people will give Firefox a try, eventually take the time to download all the addons that were built to implement the few missing IE functions they might have gotten used to [e.g. deskCut] and realize what a great improvement Firefox is!
Open source rules and no one needs IE anymore. Give me one good argument why we still need IE???
Here are some more pages fyi:
Firefox vs Internet Explorer aka Internet Extinction
Firefox vs. Internet Explorer
Firefox gains on IE in June
Browser Showdown - Firefox vs. Internet Explorer (humorous)
Finally I think that it doesn't hurt if all the nuts keep using IE. What harm does it do? It's actually like charity. Everyone who decides to switch to Firefox puts in some of their time to get familiar with a new browser. If they enjoy it they will possibly spend even more time to further improve it (open source rules!). This forces MS to improve their browser more and more. The technically uninterested will only profit from that and it's a good thing! They can hardly be bothered to search and install cool addons or extensions, so they need IE. I understand that. I also understand that this fraction of internet users potentially is a majority, sadly!

1 Comments:
At 2:26 PM, September 18, 2005,
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Post a Comment
<< Home