smAll leTTers from a mAjor cApital

creAtive opiniOns

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Stop IE

I found this on the web the other day:
http://www.stopie.com/stopie/home/

I've been a long time fan of Netscape. But ever since AOL took over Netscape isn't the same it used to be. I still use it for my mail, but for browsing websites I switched to Firefox in 2003. I have never regretted this move. The available addons and extensions are awesome.

I am using several different ones. First of all I have the Biobar installed. It's a special searchbar which I use at work to find all the latest science publications. It's quite handy.
Another addon I've come to love is the so-called StumbleUpon. By clicking the SU link in your toolbar, this plugin makes you jump to a random website that another user recommended. You can then decide whether or not you like it or you can not make a choice at all and stumble on to the next page. Of course you can recommend your own favorite pages. This tool lets you set a whole lot of preferences, e.g. the topics on which you'd like to receive random suggestions on. Guess how I found StopIE.com. ;)
The ForecastFox keeps me updated on the upcoming weather in my area. And unlike the Windows software from the american site weather.com this one also works for places around Europe (and the rest of the world?).
Yet another fun addon is the U.S. Homeland Security Threat Level. The threat level has been elevated ever since I installed this plugin. I think we will never see the lowest level, but that's a different topic...
I could go on and on about the extensions I use (several more), but I guess you better find out yourself. Exploring is exciting.

Here are a few links to get you started:
Firefox Download (english)
Firefox Addons
Firefox Plugins
Firefox Themes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home